Ble medlem
Antall liker
Sted
Sydvestlandet
Torget vurderinger
ar-t skrev:
Thanks! I notice that we have an "infomercial" in this thread:

http://www.hifisentralen.no/forum/index.php/topic,19425.msg369424/

No discussion there, but since we noticed some here, we thought that perhaps some of you would have questions. Does infomercial have the same negative connotation in your culture as it does in ours?

Regards,

AR-T
Welcome to the forum!
I don't think infomercials have quite the same negative connotations here, but I guess in the end iit depends on style and content. For lay people it is often difficult to distinguish voodoo from hard science, and your unwillingness in the infomercial to reveal design details, while perfectly understandable and reasonable, does not help in this regard. For example, you insist that a coax cable should ideally be of a certain minimum length, while Dan Lavry (of Lavry Engineering) says "the shorter the better".

As a Squeezebox user, I have studied your excellent "The SB3/SPDIF output thread" thread on the AudioCircle forum with great interest. While tempted, I have not made any modifications yet..

I'd be very interrested in your view on the following:
When using my old Pioneer CD-player (PD-S901) as the digital source to my Lavry Black DA10 D/A-converter, I hear a slight, but clearly noticable difference between various 75ohm coax cables. But I cannot hear any difference at all between the best-sounding coax, and an optical toslink connection (in this setup). Can I from this experience deduce that this particular coax cable can be considered "blameless" in this setup and that no further improvement can be achieved with, say, the art cable?

ar-t

Bransjeaktør
Ble medlem
Antall liker
Coolbiz:

Glad you are following my thread on AC. Hope it is useful and enlightening.

OK.....since my competitors are probably not reading this forum..........

The idea of the cable is to give any reflections enough of a "round trip", so that when they arrive at the RX end, it is well enough after the decision point, that it can not affect it.

Many people take this to mean that it could change 0's and 1's around, to read errors. Not at all. It simply means that it can slightly affect the timing of when that 1 or 0 is detected. And from that, you get jitter.

One of my competitors explains it as a function of the rise and fall time of the logic family used in this application. Yes, another way of saying the same thing.

Incidentally, I believe that he used to be in the "longer is better camp", if I read his writings correctly. It seems that he has a new interface design, using higher speed logic, so he feels that he can now use a shorter cable again.

I counter this in 2 ways:

1.) The RX chip still is an HC logic family. Same rise and fall time, despite any work he has done to designing a new TX/RX circuit. (I am sure that his new stuff works fine.......)

2.) By going to a faster logic family, he now has to maintain a good return loss to a much higher frequency. Before, he could get away with...............say........worrying about stuff below 20MHz. Now, I would not be surprise if he has to maintain a good return loss to something in the range of .......say.......50-100 MHz. A lot harder to do. Especially if a transformer is used!!!!!!!

Mr. Dan is a respected designer, but I do not agree. Likewise, there is a very highly regarded (audio) transformer guy that maintains that 15 MHz is enough BW for SPDIF. Nope, don't agree with him either. (We use his audio transformers, though!) So, just as in politics, well educated and knowledgeable people can have strong disagreements.

As for cables sounding alike, or different.......

Our research led us to believe that if the return loss is in the range of 30 dB or more, that all cables start to sound alike. Very few pieces of commercial gear come anywhere near that. So, you get wide variations between cables, and it depends greatly on what you are connecting them with.

Ok, now that I have behaved........

TOSLINK is totally useless for SPDIF. Seriously, if all cables sound alike when compared to a TOSLINK, then I would wonder what is wrong with the coax input on my DAC. I can say from many years of experience that most inputs (as well as outputs) were deigned as if they were the input (or output) of a preamp. That approach simply does not work.

It will work, if all you want is music. If you want and demand better, then the industry has let almost all of you down.

(Of course, SPDIF is flawed from the beginning, so you have let down twice.)

In your specific case, there could be another explanation:

I have never had the opportunity to see the DAC you have. It is quite possible that he has some circuitry that reclocks everything, using an internal VCXO (of high quality) to get rid of all the data-correlated jitter artifacts. In which case, I would conclude that whoever designed it pretty much fixed the problem. In which case, you could indeed use a shorter cable and get excellent results.

But only in a DAC where such measures are taken. Since 99% or so of the DACs on the market don't fall into that category, it leaves the door wide open to all sorts of "quick fixes" and other sundry nonsense. Easy to see how we could get lumped into that group.

Skepticism is good. Well, at least up to a point. One must decide for oneself where that point is!

Pat

Soundproof

Hi-Fi freak
Ble medlem
Antall liker
Jeg syns at Pat, som bransjeaktør, skal ta sine tanker omkring s/pdif og toslink opp med EBU og proffe studioingeniører, siden de sikkert vil verdsette å få vite at de er vilt ute på viddene med sin teknologi.

Det kan godt være at hans utsagn faller for døve ører, men den sjansen får han jo ta.

Innlegget hans kan ellers tjene som del av eksamensoppgave for en elektroingeniør - finn 5 feil/uvesentligheter.

Forøvrig - lysets hastighet er 300.000km/s.
Altså 300.000.000m/s
Dvs - 1,079,252,848.8 km/h

Å snakke om signal "round-trip" på et kort kabelstrekk, i lys av dette, gjør at de samme ingeniørene som Pat må ta i skole når det gjelder toslink og s/pdif kanskje får det travelt med å se i taket.

roffe

Hi-Fi freak
Ble medlem
Antall liker
Soundproof skrev:
Jeg syns at Pat, som bransjeaktør, skal ta sine tanker omkring s/pdif og toslink opp med EBU og proffe studioingeniører, siden de sikkert vil verdsette å få vite at de er vilt ute på viddene med sin teknologi.

Det kan godt være at hans utsagn faller for døve ører, men den sjansen får han jo ta.

Innlegget hans kan ellers tjene som del av eksamensoppgave for en elektroingeniør - finn 5 feil/uvesentligheter.

Forøvrig - lysets hastighet er 300.000km/s.
Altså 300.000.000m/s
Dvs - 1,079,252,848.8 km/h

Å snakke om signal "round-trip" på et kort kabelstrekk, i lys av dette, gjør at de samme ingeniørene som Pat må ta i skole når det gjelder toslink og s/pdif kanskje får det travelt med å se i taket.
Store hastigheter, ja, men husk at med en frekvens på 50-100MHz, så snakker vi pulser ned mot 10 nanosekund, eller 0,01 mikrosekund eller 0,00000001 sekund om du vil. Hvis kabelens hastighet ligger på mellom 50 og 90% av lyshastigheten, hvor langt kommer signalet da, før det skifter? Poenget mitt er at vi definitivt er i området der impedanstilpasning og refleksjoner begynner å spille en rolle.

Jeg er enig i at for korte strekk på rundt meteren er det ikke så farlig, men man skal ikke øke lengden mye før impedanstilpasningen blir meget viktig.

Soundproof

Hi-Fi freak
Ble medlem
Antall liker
Men lyshastighet er jammen fort - og selv om man ikke skulle bruke lyssmurte Nordost-kabler så har du litt å gå på, trur eg.

En GigaHerz er jo temmelig rå prosessorspeed, langt over de sølle MHz du nevner - og selv da vil et signal ha flyttet seg 30cm på en syklus. Så slingringsmonnet når det begynner å bli sirupsfart innenfor audiofrekvensene er temmelig stort.

Skal ikke gjøre noe stort poeng av dette - det er tilstrekkelig at Pat avslører sin uvitenhet i holdningen til Toslink.

roffe

Hi-Fi freak
Ble medlem
Antall liker
ar-t skrev:
Coolbiz:

Glad you are following my thread on AC. Hope it is useful and enlightening.

OK.....since my competitors are probably not reading this forum..........

The idea of the cable is to give any reflections enough of a "round trip", so that when they arrive at the RX end, it is well enough after the decision point, that it can not affect it.
This must be a flawed logic. If you give the reflections "enough of a round trip", you may well be influencing the timing of the next bit instead. The best solution in my book is either perfect impedance matching to avoid reflections or good buffering and reclocking circuitry in the DAC, which would pretty much make the DAC immune to jitter variations. My money is on the latter, which would also allow for simple and inexpensive cable solutions.
But I suppose you can create a jitter-minimizing cable, even if it is not necessarily based on the technology an logiq presented here. The question is how much you get for your money compared to the inexpensive cable solutions and a good reclocking DAC.

I would also like to see your rationale for claiming a bandwidth requirement up to 100MHz for spdif.

Soundproof

Hi-Fi freak
Ble medlem
Antall liker
Pat -

a couple of questions, as you seem to be manipulating audio performance through cable lengths, if I have understood you correctly.

Given the speeds at which signals propagate in cables, I'd think that you wouldn't get much effect with anything like a reasonable cable length, whether doubling/tripling/or quadrupling the base length. After all, lightspeed is 299,792,458 m/s. And even given Nordost's most extravagant claims of degraded propagation in inferior cables, we've still got yardage to spare.

Would be interesting to get your capsule version of the thinking behind the efficacy of your solution.

Question 2 - kindly expound upon the following statement, relative to the music industry's extensive use of ADAT.
You write: "TOSLINK is totally useless for SPDIF. Seriously, if all cables sound alike when compared to a TOSLINK, then I would wonder what is wrong with the coax input on my DAC. I can say from many years of experience that most inputs (as well as outputs) were deigned as if they were the input (or output) of a preamp. That approach simply does not work."

Eagerly awaiting your instructive reply.

roffe

Hi-Fi freak
Ble medlem
Antall liker
Soundproof skrev:
Men lyshastighet er jammen fort - og selv om man ikke skulle bruke lyssmurte Nordost-kabler så har du litt å gå på, trur eg.

En GigaHerz er jo temmelig rå prosessorspeed, langt over de sølle MHz du nevner - og selv da vil et signal ha flyttet seg 30cm på en syklus. Så slingringsmonnet når det begynner å bli sirupsfart innenfor audiofrekvensene er temmelig stort.

Skal ikke gjøre noe stort poeng av dette - det er tilstrekkelig at Pat avslører sin uvitenhet i holdningen til Toslink.
En digitalkabels lengde ut fra disse betraktningene må ses på som en krets, og da er lengden dobbel av kabelens lengde, altså utgjør en kabel på 1,5meter en krets på 3 meter. 100MHz flytter seg omtrent 3 meter per syklus, og det er det jeg mener med at vi "er i området der impedanstilpasning og refleksjoner begynner å spille en rolle." Hvis vi i tillegg antar en dårligere enn perfekt kabel, med mindre hastighet enn lyshastigheten, så flyttes også refleksjonsproblematikken til kortere kabellengder for samme frekvens. Men man kan jo diskutere hva som er båndbreddekravene for spdif. For meg virker det som om man strekker strikken en del når man sier 100MHz...
Spesifikasjonen til spdif sier vel at maks kabellengde er 10meter, og jeg regner med at ved den lengden kan kabelkvaliteten begynne å bli hørbar, kanskje. Men ved vanlige lengder på 1-2 meter, så skal det godt gjøres at impedansmatching og refleksjoner gjør seg gjeldende.

S

Slubbert

Gjest
ar-t skrev:
Mr. Dan is a respected designer, but I do not agree. Likewise, there is a very highly regarded (audio) transformer guy that maintains that 15 MHz is enough BW for SPDIF. Nope, don't agree with him either. (We use his audio transformers, though!) So, just as in politics, well educated and knowledgeable people can have strong disagreements.
Hopefully you agree that transformers is a good thing! Too many producers omit the transformer to save half a buck when using electrical SPdif transmission.

As far as bandwidth goes, I don't see any reason to be in disagreement on something that's easily calculable. Assuming the bandwidth limitation is governed by a dominant pole* it can be approximated as an RC time constant, and then as shown in Hawksford's paper (AES Conv.Paper 3360) it's easy to calculate the introduced jitter as a function of code transitions. The peak jitter appears in the zero crossing and will be:

Jpp=RC/2*((1+e-tc/(2RC))/(1+e-tc/(RC)))

RC being the time constant and tc being the transmission interval. For 44.1kHz fs SPdif tc=1/5.6MHz and you'll get the zero crossing peak jitter as a function of bandwith like shown in the figure below. Of course the "average" jitter (if we can talk of any such since this is definitely not a stationary process) will be quite a bit lower.

So the issue of contention, if any, must be in relation to the jitter audibility. Since Spdif jitter from bandwidth limitation will be signal-correlated jitter of low-frequency the audibility is probably somewhat greater than that of random phase-noise (which is quite limited as shown in this paper), but still... in my judgment 15MHz would suffice. Anyway the main point is that bandwidth requirements from a jitter point of view aren't really shrouded in mystery in an engineering perspective, it's basic maths as a function of whatever jitter audibility threshold you claim.

If you ask me using Toslink or optical transmission is - to recite George Tenet's infamous phrase - a slam-dunk case. Undocumented claims of optical transmission being inferior are mute as far as I'm concerned. ADAT transfers something like eight channels of 32/192 over a single fiber optic line. The FLAG internet lines connects millions of users across the globe. Noise immunity means phase noise immunity too, and ground loops are broken without transformers, characteristic impedance is not an issue..the advantages are too many to ignore. People may be still concerned about electric-to-optical conversion, but that's just conservatism, it's infallible. Besides in the future integrated circuits and processors will probably have optical transmission internally as well, with quantum logic operating on photons rather than electrons.

On a final note; as you may know Scientific Conversion - producers of transformers for SPdif - have three AES papers available at their website where they present transformer jitter histograms and such and such.

* I think it's reasonable to assume the transformer and cable have dominant poles, if these are close together the system will be of higher order, but the net result is never worse than if adding the time constants of the respective components so evaluating one by one will in this regard be a worse than worst-case scenario.

Vedlegg

muzak

Overivrig entusiast
Ble medlem
Antall liker
Hello PAT

Nice to have you around at this forum. Your contribution on AC is great.

Soundproof and Roffe

The long cable will help in two ways. Longer cable making a greater loss for the reflected signal. A lossy cable is actually to prefer. The other is the roundtrip delay. This paper explains it nicely: http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue14/spdif.htm

Cheers
Bjørn

Cobra2

Hi-Fi freak
Ble medlem
Antall liker
Sted
Stavanger
Torget vurderinger
I think I Pat has measured most common SPDIF/pulse-trafos, and found the S.C. trafos inferior.
AES papers are just another marketing gimmic...

Arne K

Soundproof

Hi-Fi freak
Ble medlem
Antall liker
Isbjorn skrev:
Hello PAT

Nice to have you around at this forum. Your contribution on AC is great.

Soundproof and Roffe

The long cable will help in two ways. Longer cable making a greater loss for the reflected signal. A lossy cable is actually to prefer. The other is the roundtrip delay. This paper explains it nicely: http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue14/spdif.htm

Cheers
Bjørn
Det du linker til er ikke et "paper" og Nugent er ikke en nøytral observatør eller forsker. Han lever av å forsterke jittermyten og bygger produkter som man ikke har behov for dersom denne myten skulle bli tilbakevist i hi-fi kretser. (Bl.a. bygger han om Benchmarks DAC, til Benchmarks store irritasjon, siden de mener at den er jitterfri - men det forhindrer ikke folk fra å sende Nugent både penger og DACer til "forbedring.")

===

You are not linking to a "paper" and Mr Nugent is neither a neutral observer nor researcher. He makes a living propagating the jitter myth and would be out of a living should one manage to demonstrate that jitter is unimportant to digital audio transfer, in a well designed system. (Nugent, among other things, rebuilds Benchmarks DAC 1 - to the unending frustration of Benchmark, who feel their product is jitter free - but this doesn't stop people from sending both money and DACs to Nugent, the latter to be improved. I should add: I greatly disliked being spammed by Mr Nugent when I posted a query at Head-Fi -- he then went on to offer his "technology" as a solution to a question I had about digital audio.

===

As to keeping things in English - sure, why not? I've always enjoyed the willingness of members of US forums to communicate with me in Norwegian. ;D

N

nb

Gjest
How about trying to keep posts in this tread in english since we have a foreign contributor here?

muzak

Overivrig entusiast
Ble medlem
Antall liker
Soundproof skrev:
You are not linking to a "paper" and Mr Nugent is neither a neutral observer nor researcher. He makes a living propagating the jitter myth and would be out of a living should one manage to demonstrate that jitter is unimportant to digital audio transer, in a well designed system. (Nugent rebuilds Benchmarks DAC 1 - to the unending frustration of Benchmark, who feel their product is jitter free - but this doesn't stop people from sending both money and DACs to Nugent, the latter to be improved.

===
I will not argue on the motive for Nuget writing this article. In any case, he is explaining the trouble with short cables. This is also backed up by several other competent people (RF engineers at diyhifi.org)
It's a simple tweak to try. In stead of banging each other in the head, just try and see if it makes a difference :)

Cheers
Bjørn

Fush

Hi-Fi freak
Ble medlem
Antall liker
nb skrev:
How about trying to keep posts in this tread in english since we have a foreign contributor here?
Hva om han lærer seg norsk i stedet?

S

Slubbert

Gjest
Isbjorn skrev:
The long cable will help in two ways. Longer cable making a greater loss for the reflected signal. A lossy cable is actually to prefer. The other is the roundtrip delay.
Reflections? It's SPdif, not Firewire 800. Reflections are damped by the attenuation in the cable yes, but attenuation will also reduce the receiver SNR and cause more phase noise. More or less jitter if you add loss to a short length cable carrying SPdif signals with perhaps 30m wavelength in the transport medium? I wonder...

By the way the article says "holder of numerous patents", but the only patent Google can find with that name in the inventor field is US Patent 6132794, "Infusion-drying of carrots".

Cobra2 skrev:
AES papers are peer reviewed by professionals. If you want to aim higher you've got to go for "IEEE Transactions of Circuits and Systems" or "Science".

K

knutinh

Gjest
So... another battle. I'll get a coke and some popcorn :)

I didnt read the white-paper referred to. Are there any measurements showing conclusively that the analog output of a commercially available DAC is measurably affected by this? Can we have a look at that measurement?

If not, all of the nice theoretical debate is nice and good but may not have any practical relevance to the reader?

-k

Soundproof

Hi-Fi freak
Ble medlem
Antall liker
Isbjorn skrev:
The long cable will help in two ways. Longer cable making a greater loss for the reflected signal. A lossy cable is actually to prefer.

Cheers
Bjørn
Any particular preferences for degree of lossy? And how would you define a lossy cable?

Cobra2

Hi-Fi freak
Ble medlem
Antall liker
Sted
Stavanger
Torget vurderinger
Slubbert skrev:
Cobra2 skrev:
AES papers are peer reviewed by professionals. If you want to aim higher you've got to go for "IEEE Transactions of Circuits and Systems" or "Science".
And so-called professionals(or engineers) are always right? Even more right when they talk about their own products? ::)

Arne K

K

knutinh

Gjest
Cobra2 skrev:
And so-called professionals(or engineers) are always right? Even more right when they talk about their own products? ::)

Arne K
I dont think that anyone claims that anything man-made (or man-written) is guaranteed to be correct for all time.

Do you really think that the quality mechanisms used for peer-reviewed journals can be compared to the process of writing a pdf-document and posting it on the 'net?

An important purpose of a peer-reviewed journal is that someone with some knowledge in the field (but perhaps not depth-knowledge) should be able to read an article knowing that the basics such as observations, calculations and conclusions are vouched for by a system of co-authors, peer-reviews and references to state-of-the-art.

As the Sudbø case shows, this is not a flawless system. But his career as a scientist is probably over, and his co-authors have had a dent in their reputation. If Slubberten tried to submit a paper without references or with serious logical flaws, I would hope that it would not be accepted. If he was ever caught in a lie, his career would go the way of the Dodo as well. The fact that Slubberten knows this is in itself a mechanism that encourage certain behaviour.

The fact that funding is commonly strongly connected to the number of prestigeous published papers is a mechanism that ensure great competition between young, hungry Phds and that organisations such as the AES (and even more, Science) has a plethora of sumbissions to choose from.

When you read a PDF on the net (or a post in this forum), you are totally at the mercy of the anonymous author, and anything goes...

-k

Soundproof

Hi-Fi freak
Ble medlem
Antall liker
Cobra2 skrev:
Slubbert skrev:
Cobra2 skrev:

Arne K
There is such a thing as Peer Review, professional integrity and scientific self-censorship. It works wonders, and usually works.

Peer review (known as refereeing in some academic fields) is a process of subjecting an author's scholarly work, research or ideas to the scrutiny of others who are experts in the same field. It is used primarily by editors to select and to screen submitted manuscripts, and by funding agencies to decide the awarding of grants. The peer review process has a normative function by encouraging authors to meet the accepted high standards of their discipline and to prevent the dissemination of unwarranted claims, unacceptable interpretations or personal views. Publications and awards that have not undergone peer review are likely to be regarded with suspicion by scholars and professionals in many fields. Even refereed journals, however, can contain errors.

In the case of manuscripts, the editor will pass manuscripts that are accepted for publication to a publisher who will be responsible for organizing redactory services, printing and distribution of the publication. In specialist academic (scholarly) journals, the editor (or increasingly group of editors) is normally a well-respected academic in the field, and edits the journal on behalf of a learned society or a commercial publisher. Some journals have professional editors employed by the owner of the journal. An editor is ultimately responsible for the quality and selection of manuscripts chosen to be published, usually basing their decision on peer review, although the authors are always responsible for the content of each manuscript. The editor does not revise and correct spelling, grammar and formatting — that process is carried out by a copy editor, although the editor controls the quality of the process.

ar-t

Bransjeaktør
Ble medlem
Antall liker
Look what I have started...............

I am surprised by how many of you not only write extremely well in English, but are also more knowledgeable than the average forum member. I am impressed.

Since I am reading this at the start of the business day here in the US, I will have to be brief, and elaborate later in the day. I hope that you will understand.

Ok, for those of you who are not aware, I started this thread over at AC:

http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/index.php?topic=45330.0

It has a lot of technical stuff, that might be hard to interpret. Especially for those of you who are not engineers.

Bottom line is:

I hate the SC transformers. The guy who designed the Squeeze Box agrees with me. I have read SC's papers, and I maintain that they are purely marketing nonsense. I show (if you can follow the technical parts) that someone with lots of RF experience can rig any transformer to work well, and just as easily not so well. It all depends on the transformer. Just sticking a 75 ohm resistor on the end of one might seem like the right approach, but it isn't. SC does not give details, so I believe that they have a rigged test. No, I can not prove that. But I can show that someone can make a better interface using something other than theirs.

OK, BW............

On the surface, 2.8 MHz square wave............7th harmonic minimum...........20 some MHz. In theory. Listening tests show otherwise. Faster rise times sound better, as the rate of change is sharper. Less chance of timing corruption. So, faster rise times need more BW. Simple as that.

As for SN:

Don't know the guy. Yes, he sells a product. Whether it is good or not, I do not know. Just because he makes money from his writings, that justify his approach, does not make it wrong.

Use that logic when buying SPDIF transformers. You wouldn't buy an SC one then, would you?

We do not make transformers, outboard D/A boxes, transports or the such. We did, about 15 years ago. Some folks have asked why we no longer make cables, since there is not as much investment in such. Reluctantly, we are now making them. Aside from that, we "don't have a dog in that fight", as we say here in the US. My writings are based on my years of experience, and are not designed to promote a product. Merely to educate.

Reflections, TOSLINK........please allow me to respond to these later in our day. In the meantime, I am sure that some of you will read the AC posts. It will answer some of your questions, and will probably give rise to more. Please feel free to ask them.I will answer, as time permits.

One last point........

We keep track of activity of our products on foreign forums. One such forum is in France. Having studied their language (against my will, I might add), I registered on their forum. They wrote back, and while they claim that industry participation is welcome, they somehow found the info I supplied upon registration to be inadequate. I provide additional info, in the best French I could dredge up after 40 years. Never heard back from them.

Frank Zappa maintains that the are 2 things that are universal: hydrogen and stupidity. I think that there is a third.

Hatred of the French!

On that xenophobic note, I will sign off until later in the day.

Thanks for your interest and allowing me to participate.

AR-T

K

knutinh

Gjest
ar-t skrev:
On the surface, 2.8 MHz square wave............7th harmonic minimum...........20 some MHz. In theory. Listening tests show otherwise. Faster rise times sound better, as the rate of change is sharper. Less chance of timing corruption. So, faster rise times need more BW. Simple as that.
Critical information missing:
1. What was the measured relevant signal error at analog output (post DAC)?
2. "Listening tests"? Blind? Significance-level? What bandwidth?

-k

ar-t

Bransjeaktør
Ble medlem
Antall liker
1.) Error?? "Perceived error" was the same as any other type jitter-related problems. Bass sounds flabby, and the top-end is nasty sounding. We correlated this by 2 means:

As we lowered the refection coefficient, we noticed that the audibly effects of jitter were less. Mind you, we are not saying that we can actually hear the jitter. No, we hear how it affects the sound. At a later date, I made measurements on how lowering reflection coefficient made an easily observable effect on the jitter spectrum of the recovered clock.

Second method was that we observed the same effects when lowering other sources of jitter. Rotational jitter in the CD mechanism, to be exact. (Let's not wander off into that subject, if you don't mind.)

As for type of listening tests, it was single-blind, if that matters. I knew what they were listening to, and what I thought it should sound like. The listeners had no technical knowledge at all, just that it sounded better. (We went to great lengths to find listeners that we could trust. Unfortunately, that was a long time ago, and none of them are still in our area..But trust me, at that time, we had a good panel available to us.)

Sufficient answer?

AR-T

K

knutinh

Gjest
ar-t skrev:
1.) Error?? "Perceived error" was the same as any other type jitter-related problems. Bass sounds flabby, and the top-end is nasty sounding.
Having a measurement of the stimulus presented to the listener would still improve the usability of such results to the readers. Can it be compared to the handful of scientific papers regarding jitter audibility (usually for non-deterministic jitter)?

Did you use a spdif receiver/DAC that could supress jitter very well, or one that clocked its output in perfect syncronisation with its instantaneous input embedded clock?
As we lowered the refection coefficient, we noticed that the audibly effects of jitter were less.
What mechanism used for changing the reflection coefficient? Swap of cables, or a cable-simulator in-circuit?
Mind you, we are not saying that we can actually hear the jitter. No, we hear how it affects the sound. At a later date, I made measurements on how lowering reflection coefficient made an easily observable effect on the jitter spectrum of the recovered clock.

Second method was that we observed the same effects when lowering other sources of jitter. Rotational jitter in the CD mechanism, to be exact. (Let's not wander off into that subject, if you don't mind.)

As for type of listening tests, it was single-blind, if that matters. I knew what they were listening to, and what I thought it should sound like. The listeners had no technical knowledge at all, just that it sounded better. (We went to great lengths to find listeners that we could trust. Unfortunately, that was a long time ago, and none of them are still in our area..But trust me, at that time, we had a good panel available to us.)

Sufficient answer?

AR-T
What number of listeners, what number of trials?

Did you use ABX or some other system? What was the number of "correct" answers, and did you calculate the significance levels?

-k

Vidar P

Æresmedlem
Ble medlem
Antall liker
Sted
Kristiansund
Torget vurderinger
Krangel og feid over kontinentgrensene... en ny højdare for objektivistene på HFS :)

Mvh Vidar P

S

Slubbert

Gjest
Cobra2 skrev:
Commercial statements and/or endorsements are strictly forbidden in the AES journal and conference/convention proceedings.

Vidar P

Æresmedlem
Ble medlem
Antall liker
Sted
Kristiansund
Torget vurderinger
RoDa skrev:
Hehe, til og med Løkken er i siget! :D
Unnskyld min ignoranse; men hvem er Løkken her i tråden? Den godeste Ivar har jo vært savnet herfra, iallefall i SRV-diskusjonene :), men er det et nytt nick jeg har gått glipp av?

Bare som en obs; vår kranglete dialogform er som skapt til å få utlendinger til å holde seg unna; det er noe med kultur for uttrykksmåte; uten å bringe til torgs noen mening om noe her, så vil jeg peke på at ar-t har en vennlig og realitetsorientert innfallsvinkel til diskusjoner; jeg vil anmode om å ta det til etterretning i svar,- iallefall dersom man håper på en utdyping av hans ståsted heller enn en flukt fra forumet.

Med SRV-hilsener til Ivar,
Vidar P

ar-t

Bransjeaktør
Ble medlem
Antall liker
OK, let me see if I can navigate my way through all of this.......

knutinh skrev:
Having a measurement of the stimulus presented to the listener would still improve the usability of such results to the readers. Can it be compared to the handful of scientific papers regarding jitter audibility (usually for non-deterministic jitter)?
Uh........not having read any of those papers, I guess the people that write those would say "Your findings are merely anecdotal." Probably.

Did you use a spdif receiver/DAC that could supress jitter very well, or one that clocked its output in perfect syncronisation with its instantaneous input embedded clock?
No. Just a "bog standard" SPDIF implementation.

What mechanism used for changing the reflection coefficient? Swap of cables, or a cable-simulator in-circuit?
Changing the reflection coefficient is not the term I would use. Improving the design, and the process, lowering it would be how I would express it.

What number of listeners, what number of trials?
Enough to satisfy my needs, as "Il capo di tutti crappi", I was merely trying to get a product from the development stage to the production stage. That is all that I was trying to accomplish. I was not making a peer-reviewed study, with sufficient statistical validity to hold up to close scrutiny.

Did you use ABX or some other system? What was the number of "correct" answers, and did you calculate the significance levels?
The system was "Listen this, and tell me which one you like better." After I had enough listeners, with no knowledge with what on earth I was doing, I had enough data for our use.

No, I don't believe in all the ABX/DBT stuff. If you care to disregard my position based on that, well, I can live with that. I can tell you I have demonstrated this at stereo shops (at later dates), and with 100% repeatability. So, as we say in Texas: "Works for me."

Perhaps I should go into some detail how all this came about. I'm sure that most of you will find it more understandable this way.

I designed and built the prototype of our D/A box in one night. At the first opportunity, I made one of the other principles in the company listen to it. We commented on what we liked and did not like about it. Since this person is completely without any technical know-how, but is still a "tweak-o-phile", he asked if I thought that it would sound any better with a different cable to the transport. (It had the first cable I grabbed, and it just happened to be around 1/3 meter long.)

Well, damn good question. Only one way to find out. As my previous job entailed qualifying cables (for telecom), I had tons of cables to chose from. We soon found out that anything under 2 meters or so was dreck, with the first cable we tried to be the worst by far.

Interestingly enough, the cable with the best top-end was a 50 ohm Gore-tex cable, designed for microwave use. (It cost $1000. In 1982.) It also had no bass at all. Zero, zip, nada. None at all. (Since then, I have talked to others who came to the same conclusion on their own, with no knowledge of our tests.)

One night to design and build a prototype. Six more months to get it to sound right. All of that 6 months was spent working out the front-end design. (Nothing else was changed.)

Here is an example of how the reflection coefficient was "changed".

Let's say that one had a need to stick some sort of logic chip between the input and the SPDIF RX chip. For the purpose of switching inputs is one reason to do so. I tried most every brand of whatever HC chip that was used. They all had a different effect on the input rho. (Yes, for the first time ever, I wrote down which brands did what. No, I no longer have it. Doubt it would be valid today. This was in '92 or so.)

The unit underwent continual testing throughout this phase. Both listening and measurements. Long story short, we came to 2 conclusions.

1.) Anything (as mentioned above) under 2 meters was not acceptable. We took this matter to extremes, and included a 6 meter cable with the unit. (We sold them for $20 to anyone who wanted one. You would be surprised how many found their way into CES displays. They kicked the crap out of any <$200 cable on the market.)

2.) We decided that when the input return loss got down to -30 dB or so, that cables started sounding all alike, and improvements were either nil, or not all that noticeable. As also mentioned above, I have demonstrated this using a "rigged" D/A box. One input was the stock one, which had a return loss of around 18-20 dB. The other input was one of the highly tweaked version, with a return loss in the -30 dB range. Again, 100% repeatability. Call it anecdotal, call it whatever. I call it the truth.

We are not a mega-buck, multi-national outfit, with tons of money to spend on carefully screened focus groups. The fate of the Western world (and lots of $$$$$$$$$$) did not hinge on the outcome. Just a bunch of nerds trying to make a $, by selling good sounding stuff at a very affordable price. Still, I stand by this. No BS, hand-waving, or snake oil is involved. Yes, we realise that it is hard for lay people to get by the "bits is bits" mentality. There are others who will insist on rigorous testing, with statistical validity, and all that.

Sorry, that is not how this conclusion was reached. You can chose to accept my position, or have a good laugh at my expense in your native tongue. (Even if you do believe me, I have a sense of humour, so I would expect at least one of you to make a comical post that I would never comprehend!)

Ok, I promised more info on return loss, reflections, TOSLINK, etc. Coming in a while. Really!

AR-T

ar-t

Bransjeaktør
Ble medlem
Antall liker
roffe skrev:
This must be a flawed logic. If you give the reflections "enough of a round trip", you may well be influencing the timing of the next bit instead. The best solution in my book is either perfect impedance matching to avoid reflections or good buffering and reclocking circuitry in the DAC, which would pretty much make the DAC immune to jitter variations. My money is on the latter, which would also allow for simple and inexpensive cable solutions.
But I suppose you can create a jitter-minimizing cable, even if it is not necessarily based on the technology an logiq presented here. The question is how much you get for your money compared to the inexpensive cable solutions and a good reclocking DAC.

I would also like to see your rationale for claiming a bandwidth requirement up to 100MHz for spdif.
No flawed logic at all!

Let me explain something about reflections; what they are and how they work.

Let us assume that we have an ideal 75 ohm source, that is 75 ohms from "DC to light". And we connect up an ideal 75 ohm coax. (Can't really say "DC to light", as talking about characteristic impedance of a coax below several hundred kHz is pointless.)

When the signal reaches the RX end, it will most likely not meet the same "DC to light" qualities. Most of the signal will be absorbed, but a small part will not. That part will be reflected back to the source. The amount that is reflected is predictable.

Let us say that the RX is 100 ohms. (A very popular D/A box did this. I asked the designer why, and his response was "Hey, 100 ohms is what we had that day. Most guys leave it unterminated. Give me a break; we are a step in the right direction.")

Ok, the reflection coefficient, called rho is:

(100-75)/(100+75) = 0.143

That translates into -16.9 dB. Not that great. Keep in mind that there will be some stray reactance to take into account, so in practice it will be worse.

Anyway, we now have around 14% of the original signal bouncing back to the source. Well, if we have a perfect 75 ohm cable and source, all of the reflection will be absorbed, and there will be no further reflection.

Of course, that is not reality. So, let us say that it also has the same rho of 0.143. 14% of 14% will then be reflected back to the RX. Delayed in time by the propagation time of twice the cable length.

If the cable is very short, you could end up 2% of the original signal arriving a few nSec later.

Ok, 2% is obviously not enough to affect whether it is a 1 or a 0. But it is enough to affect the timing of the decision point. And this is what matters.

So, what do you do about it???

1.) Design a reclocking circuit to get rid of that problem. Guess how many do that. Hint: not many.

2.) Make a perfect impedance match. Yes, that helps. But if you ever measure the impedance of any DAC or transport, you will realise that is also a pipe dream. Almost no one does that. They treat SPDIF just as they treat inputs and outputs in a preamp. Mystery wire, steps to eliminate EMI (necessary in most commercially produced units), and just plain bad engineering is what you will find. If you lived in Texas, I would gladly measure your gear. You would not be pleased with the results. Maybe you should be thankful that you are far away from our lab.

3.) In lieu of those steps, since you are going to need to buy some sort of cable, why not buy one that costs the same (or even less!) than the dreck already on the market? There are cables on the market, labeled as being 75 ohms, but are really 50 ohms! (Yes, they exist. Yes, I have measured them. No, I am not naming them.)

OK, you asked about BW. Let us say that you agree that a very sharp rise time is needed to prevent those nasty reflections from mucking things up. (Faster rise time, sharper slope, less chance for mucking up timing.)

If you have a 7 nS rise time, the -3 dB point (assuming a single-pole network), you get 0.35/(7^-9) = 50 MHz. Cut the rise time in half, and the BW is now 100 MHz. Yes, it will generate tons of EMI. But, there are units around that are very fast. So, 100 MHz is not that outlandish of a claim.

OK, there is a lot less energy in that part of the signal. Still, there is some. Since it is much harder to get a decent rho (at 100 MHz) in a circuit that some only feel needs to be "somewhat resistive" to only 10 MHz or so.......well, take my word for it........try making one sometime. It is not as easy, especially if you stick a transformer in the mix. (Read my posts on AC to see how successful some of my attempts are. I know that few units on the market come close.)

The problem is further complicated by the fact that damn near every unit out there uses a Crystal receiver. Guess what.........try measuring the rho of their stock circuit. The one damn near every copies right out to the data sheet. Guess what......measure one, and if your DAC does not have some fancy reclocker, you will think our cable is the best gadget to come along in quite a while.

Briefly on "peer-reviewed" papers, such as one will find in the JAES.

JAES has an agenda. It protects its sacred cow members, primarily in industry. (This trend started under Ray Dolby's watch.) Briefly, how many here have equipment that has at its heart design principles based on the works of John Curl, Walt Jung, Marshall Leach, and some guy named Matti Otala.

Anyone care to guess how many JAES papers have been written that claim those 4 designers are all wrong? All papers peer-reviewed, and published in the JAES.

Sorry, but the fact that they have been "peer-reviewed" does not hold water with me. If all of those papers are correct, many of you will have to throw out a lot of your gear.

The same holds true of the papers that SC submits. Nothing but advertising, artfully hidden amidst a lot of measurements. I know for a fact that I can rig a test to show that most any transformer is better than all the rest. So much for "peer-reviewed". You may know the old saying: "To catch a crook, you need to hire a crook."

Well, I am not President Nixon, but I know how to concoct a SPDIF test to yield most any result that you would like. Again, look at my AC posts.

Ok, my fingers need a break, and I am sure that you want a break from me. Until "tomorrow"..........ok, tomorrow morning in Texas.

AR-T

Lille_Adam

Hi-Fi freak
Ble medlem
Antall liker
Groovy stuff. Has to be, when even a severely technically challenged dork like me finds it interesting. Looking forward to the continuation!

:D

K

knutinh

Gjest
ar-t skrev:
Enough to satisfy my needs, as "Il capo di tutti crappi", I was merely trying to get a product from the development stage to the production stage. That is all that I was trying to accomplish. I was not making a peer-reviewed study, with sufficient statistical validity to hold up to close scrutiny.
No, I don't believe in all the ABX/DBT stuff. If you care to disregard my position based on that, well, I can live with that. I can tell you I have demonstrated this at stereo shops (at later dates), and with 100% repeatability. So, as we say in Texas: "Works for me."
From your own post, it seems that you never tried to do a test that would hold up to close scrutiny, so if anyone are sceptical about your conclusions that would be perfectly valid.

-k

Topp Bunn