Politikk, religion og samfunn President Donald J. Trump - Quo vadis? (Del 2)

Diskusjonstråd Se tråd i gallerivisning

• Kingsington

Hi-Fi freak
    Ble medlem
    Antall liker
    Sted
    Mo i Rana
    Ps. Det ligger en solid baksmell på lur for et prøvet USA. Europa stenger ned samfunnet, mens de står i et politisk kaos, og ser ut til å ha glemt covid.
    Men et offentlig helsevesen vil ikke de ubemidlede ha. Bedre å bli rik, som Trump!!!

joha

Overivrig entusiast
    Ble medlem
    Antall liker
    Torget vurderinger
    Hva er det som gjør at akkurat disse folkene vil gjøre en bedre jobb enn de valgobservatørene som republikanerne har valgt på forhånd??

Er de opprinnelige observatørene bundet fast og sitter med bind for øynene?

Vil det ikke være en sikkerhetsrisiko å slippe inn folk som ikke er klarert på forhånd? Uvedkommende har vel ingenting i et tellelokale å gjøre.

Dr Dong

Æresmedlem
    Ble medlem
    Antall liker
    Sted
    landskapet uten motstand
    Torget vurderinger
    mens biden kan se ut til å komme i land, så er nederlaget nesten totalt for demokratene i kongressen

Votes are still being tallied, but we already know for certain that election night was a disaster for House Democrats. As it stands, on a night where Democrats were forecast to pick up as many as 20 seats in the chamber, not a single GOP incumbent has been defeated. The only two Democratic pickups thus far can be chalked up to court-mandated changes to congressional district maps in North Carolina. While Democrats will likely keep the House majority, it’s possible they will lose between 7 and 12 seats in total, underperforming optimistic projections by 30 seats or more. The final count, whenever it comes in, will merely tell us how bad the bleeding is.

[…]
    The failures of Democratic leadership have been profound, running what should have been a Democratic advantage into the ground. But the leadership class who came up with and pursued that strategy is made up entirely of centrists, who have spurned progressives at every turn, claiming to know better, forcing them to watch quietly as senior-ranking moderates managed nothing in terms of legislation over the past two years and orchestrated a disastrous campaign strategy. That should be evidence enough that Pelosi, Bustos, and her centrist acolytes who managed to survive election night should be relieved of their leadership positions. Progressives, meanwhile, didn’t lose any members from their ranks and now make up a larger percentage of the caucus than ever, have the only credible claim to leadership positions, and should do everything in their power to take them over ahead of what will be much more challenging terrain in 2022.

Sist redigert:

Hardingfele

Æresmedlem
    Ble medlem
    Antall liker
    Torget vurderinger
    ^ Ikke til å undres over. Pelosi er deres Støre, om enn langt rikere enn ham. På tide å bli kvitt alle etablissement-progressive som snudde ryggen til arbeidere og arbeidernes rettigheter. Clinton var en Third Way/Der Mitte progressiv og partiledelsen fortsatte på den kursen.

Men det blir to ekstra valgrunder for senatorer i Georgia, 5. januar, og det skaper litt spenning.

JMM

Slava Ukraini!
    Ble medlem
    Antall liker
    Sted
    Fredrikstad
    Torget vurderinger
    På tide at Pelosi tar sin minkkåpe og går, ingen særlig tvil om det.

Dr Dong

Æresmedlem
    Ble medlem
    Antall liker
    Sted
    landskapet uten motstand
    Torget vurderinger
    mer til å bli mindre lystig av:

The President of the United States has called the election a fraud. He has declared victory without basis, tweeting on Wednesday, “We have claimed” Pennsylvania, Georgia, North Carolina, and perhaps Michigan—all states that were still counting votes. Donald Trump, who has been engaged in an autocratic attempt for the last four years, is now trying to stage an autocratic breakthrough.

I have borrowed the term “autocratic attempt” from the work of Bálint Magyar, a Hungarian sociologist who set out to develop analytical tools for understanding the turn away from democracy in many Eastern and Central European countries. I have found Magyar’s ideas surprisingly illuminating when applied to the United States.

Magyar divides the autocrat’s journey into three stages: autocratic attempt, autocratic breakthrough, and autocratic consolidation. The attempt is a period when autocracy is still preventable, or reversible, by electoral means. When it is no longer possible to reverse autocracy peacefully, the autocratic breakthrough has occurred, because the very structures of government have been transformed and can no longer protect themselves. These changes usually include packing the constitutional court (the Supreme Court, in the case of the U.S.) with judges loyal to the autocrat; packing and weakening the courts in general; appointing a chief prosecutor (the Attorney General) who is loyal to the autocrat and will enforce the law selectively on his behalf; changing the rules on the appointment of civil servants; weakening local governments; unilaterally changing electoral rules (to accommodate gerrymandering, for instance); and changing the Constitution to expand the powers of the executive.

For all the apparent flailing and incompetence of the Trump Administration, his autocratic attempt checks most of the boxes. He has appointed three Supreme Court Justices and a record number of federal judges. The Justice Department, under William Barr, acts like Trump’s pocket law-enforcement agency and personal law firm. Trump’s army of “acting” officials, some of them carrying out their duties in violation of relevant federal regulations, have made mincemeat of the rules and norms of federal appointments. Trump has preëmptively declared the election rigged; has incited voter intimidation and encouraged voter suppression; has mobilized his armed supporters to prevent votes from being counted; and has explicitly stated that he is changing the rules of the election. “We want all voting to stop,” he said on Wednesday morning, and vowed to take his case to the Supreme Court.

“The populist does not de jure eliminate the separation of powers,” Magyar writes, “but he connects the branches through his competences of appointment in a single vertical of vassalage.” The Russian President, Vladimir Putin, calls it the “vertical of power.” What allows the aspiring autocrat to transform the institutions of government is either a supermajority in parliament or, in a presidential system, a monopoly on political power—a situation in which the Presidency and Congress are held by the same political parties. Americans aren’t used to thinking of a monopoly on political power as a problem; on the contrary, we think that these are the conditions necessary for a President to be able to carry out his political agenda. In fact, with the power to confirm Presidential appointments concentrated in the Senate, Trump didn’t even need the House. In four years, Trump has created a “vertical of vassalage” that runs from him to Barr to the Senate Majority Leader, Mitch McConnell, and to the courts. Its extension is Fox News, which has served as the fourth branch of Trump’s government. (Fox News has been notably noncompliant with Trump’s election narrative, starting with its early call of Arizona for Joe Biden, which incited the President’s rage.)

Trump is trying to use his vertical of vassalage to thwart the electoral system. If he succeeds, his autocratic breakthrough will be complete. If he fails, Trump will leave—reluctantly, petulantly, perhaps after a litigious delay—but much of the vertical that he has put in place will remain.

Autocratic structural changes are invariably harder to reverse than they are to institute. If the Senate remains in Republican hands, reversal—at least in the short term—is virtually impossible. If Biden wanted to expand the number of Justices on the Supreme Court, for example, he would be unable to get this through the Senate; even regular district-level judgeships may prove difficult to fill. All this increases the likelihood that, if he is elected, Biden will likely proceed as if politics as normal has been restored, because he and the Democratic Party treat Trump as an aberration—cured simply by being voted out of office.

The last two days have, once again, shown that Trump is neither an aberration nor the product of Russian interference, but rather the conscious choice of roughly half of the voters, or some sixty-five million Americans. This is a giant and, now, aggrieved movement, capable of carrying Trump or, more likely, one of his children, back into office in 2024 or 2028. (Incidentally, Viktor Orbán, following his first term as Prime Minister of Hungary, spent two electoral cycles as the leader of the political opposition, before sweeping back into office on a supermajority vote and immediately engineering an autocratic breakthrough.) If, upon his Inauguration, a President Biden acts as though our national nightmare is over—if he attempts to build bridges and fetishizes bipartisanship in order to pass some watered-down legislation, rather than, say, even acknowledging the necessary and probably impossible task of unpacking the federal judiciary—then the autocratic attempt can return, and it will be stronger.

Biden will need to work to dismantle the Trumpian vertical and address the conditions that made it possible: the role of money in politics; the Electoral College and all the active and passive ways in which the voting system discourages and prevents participation; the unregulated profit-driven media, both traditional and new, and the underfunded public media; the concentration of power in the executive branch; and the gerontocratic political duopoly. Nothing short of reinventing American democracy, spiritually and institutionally, can protect us.

Sist redigert:

JMM

Slava Ukraini!
    Ble medlem
    Antall liker
    Sted
    Fredrikstad
    Torget vurderinger
    Så interessant ut, men den likte ikke ad-blokkerne mine gitt.

kasol

Hi-Fi freak
    Ble medlem
    Antall liker
    Torget vurderinger
    Fra en kilde som RuneS må kunne godta -

Currently, with votes still being tallied, Trump has 8% support among Black voters, up from 6% in 2016.
    Among Hispanics, he has 35% support, up from 28% in 2016.
    At the same, support for the Democratic candidate is up among White voters. Biden has 43% vs. Hillary Clinton’s 39% in 2016. That 4-point increase makes a bigger difference to the overall vote because White voters make up a much larger share of the electorate (74%) compared to Black (11%) and Hispanic (10%) voters

kasol

Hi-Fi freak
    Ble medlem
    Antall liker
    Torget vurderinger
    Man kan jo begynne å lure på hva som foregår i topplokket på folk
    1604606841258.png

erato

Æresmedlem
    Ble medlem
    Antall liker
    Sted
    Bergen
    Torget vurderinger
    Å ja. Demokratene trenger å analysere hva stemmene bak Trump og Sanders representerer, og lage en politikk for det. Glem latterligheter som abort og håndvåpen, og begynn å løse folks problemer. Ingen grunn til å underslå at Trumps politikk har noen gode poenger, både innenlands og utenlands, men trenger å implementeres av noen som klarer å løfte blikket fra egen navlelo og gjennomføres av andre enn sykofanter, og som klarer å se på langsiktige konsekvenser ut over egen kassekonto og muligheten for likes på twitter..

Sist redigert:

Hardingfele

Æresmedlem
    Ble medlem
    Antall liker
    Torget vurderinger

JMM

Slava Ukraini!
    Ble medlem
    Antall liker
    Sted
    Fredrikstad
    Torget vurderinger
    If, upon his Inauguration, a President Biden acts as though our national nightmare is over—if he attempts to build bridges and fetishizes bipartisanship in order to pass some watered-down legislation, rather than, say, even acknowledging the necessary and probably impossible task of unpacking the federal judiciary—then the autocratic attempt can return, and it will be stronger.

Dette er vel, i et nøtteskall, det jeg tror er det mest sannsynlige. Jeg liker Biden som person - hvem liker ikke en snill og ærlig bestefar - men tror han langt fra er den rette personen til å gjøre det som gjøres må for å omforme USA til et fungerende demokrati og et land som fungerer rimelig godt for de fleste.

kasol

Hi-Fi freak
    Ble medlem
    Antall liker
    Torget vurderinger
    Biden kommer vel ikke til å få til en drit hvis demokratene ikke har flertall i både senatet og kongressen. Hans vil jo fremstå som samlende.

JMM

Slava Ukraini!
    Ble medlem
    Antall liker
    Sted
    Fredrikstad
    Torget vurderinger
    Ehh...nettopp. Uansett, vi får jo en pause fra den aller verste galskapen i fire år eller så, helt til Donald Jr. stiller i -24 og det er på'an igjen.

Hardingfele

Æresmedlem
    Ble medlem
    Antall liker
    Torget vurderinger
    Biden kommer vel ikke til å få til en drit hvis demokratene ikke har flertall i både senatet og kongressen. Hans vil jo fremstå som samlende.
    Du mener Senatet og Representantenes hus, i Kongressen.Obama hadde kun Kongressen de to første årene i sin presidentperiode. Han mistet huset i 2011 og Senatet i 2009. Benyttet seg av Executive Orders, samt fikk også gjennom en god del "across the aisle", men langt fra så progressivt som man måtte ønske - også pga finanskrisen som reduserte mulighetene.

Men nå som det blir runoff-valg i Georgia, for to senatseter, kan mye skje. (Valg 5. januar)

JMM

Slava Ukraini!
    Ble medlem
    Antall liker
    Sted
    Fredrikstad
    Torget vurderinger
    De må i alle fall kvitte seg med Pelosi og hennes kumpaner i god tid før -22 og de neste valgene til kongressen og senatet, slik at de ikke blør seter også da og kanskje vinner over hele fjøla.

bambi

Æresmedlem
    Ble medlem
    Antall liker
    Sted
    Smurfeland
    Ehh...nettopp. Uansett, vi får jo en pause fra den aller verste galskapen i fire år eller så, helt til Donald Jr. stiller i -24 og det er på'an igjen.
    Kan man stille til valg som president i USA hvis man er straffedømt?

Edit: så at det stod Jr. der til slutt nå. Det er jo noe annet.

kasol

Hi-Fi freak
    Ble medlem
    Antall liker
    Torget vurderinger
    Jr har ikke samme apell så jeg tror vi unngår det :) Trump kan nok ikke kopieres

JMM

Slava Ukraini!
    Ble medlem
    Antall liker
    Sted
    Fredrikstad
    Torget vurderinger
    Det må vel være felony og ikke misdemeanor for å diskvalifisere, men jeg tipper det er felonies nok å velge mellom. Om de får dømt ham i løpet av fire år er en annen sak, eller for den del i det hele tatt om man skal være litt pessimist.

Dr Dong

Æresmedlem
    Ble medlem
    Antall liker
    Sted
    landskapet uten motstand
    Torget vurderinger
    helt klart at det ikke er stort spillerom; ikke bare i forhold til gop all over, men også hvilke folk som kommer inn i stillinger i administrasjonen. likevel; det er tross alt bedre med biden enn å ville despotiet, i motsetning til hva en en del andre her i tråden mener.

muligheter fins det jo, om en vil:

Without signing a single new law, the next president can lower prescription drug prices, cancel student debt, break up the big banks, give everybody who wants one a bank account, counteract the dominance of monopoly power, protect farmers from price discrimination and unfair dealing, force divestment from fossil fuel projects, close a slew of tax loopholes, hold crooked CEOs accountable, mandate reductions of greenhouse gas emissions, allow the effective legalization of marijuana, make it easier for 800,000 workers to join a union, and much, much more. We have compiled a series of essays to explain precisely how, and under what authority, the next president can accomplish all this.

JMM

Slava Ukraini!
    Ble medlem
    Antall liker
    Sted
    Fredrikstad
    Torget vurderinger
    Det er ingen mangel på ting han kan gjøre, men han skal jo helst velges igjen i -24. I tillegg er dekreter langt mindre attraktive enn lover, siden de enkelt kan kanselleres av neste president, slik Trump systematisk har demontert nesten alt Obama fikk til. Lover er det vanskeligere å radere ut, men vil man lage lover må man innom kongress og senat.

Dr Dong

Æresmedlem
    Ble medlem
    Antall liker
    Sted
    landskapet uten motstand
    Torget vurderinger
    dette er basert på allerede eksisterende lover.

The Prospect has identified 30 meaningful executive actions, all derived from authority in specific statutes, which could be implemented on Day One by a new president. These would not be executive orders, much less abuses of authority, but strategic exercise of legitimate presidential power.

og gjennomføres en del av dette, så er -24 innen fin rekkevidde

JMM

Slava Ukraini!
    Ble medlem
    Antall liker
    Sted
    Fredrikstad
    Torget vurderinger
    Hvis det ender opp med et republikansk senat igjen ville kanskje det beste være om Biden kjørte gjennom det meste på listen med en gang, i løpet av de første seks månedene. Da ville folk ha 3+ år på seg til å evaluere effekten og republikanernes FUD kanskje ha mindre effekt. Men det er jo Biden.....så det er mer sannsynlig at vi ser fire år med fåfengte forsøk på å skape konsensus og noen småting pushet gjennom ved dekret mot slutten av perioden etterhvert som desperasjonen øker.

Forhåpentligvis tar jeg feil av både situasjonen og mannen.

JMM

Slava Ukraini!
    Ble medlem
    Antall liker
    Sted
    Fredrikstad
    Torget vurderinger
    dette er basert på allerede eksisterende lover.

og gjennomføres en del av dette, så er -24 innen fin rekkevidde
    Hmmm, interessant. Får kanskje lese gjennom artikkelen da... ;)

Edit: og så får vi håpe at noen gir den til Biden så han får lese den også....

Sist redigert:

Dr Dong

Æresmedlem
    Ble medlem
    Antall liker
    Sted
    landskapet uten motstand
    Torget vurderinger
    To many on the left, then, Biden’s lackluster performance is no surprise. Yes, Trump could have been resoundingly defeated. But 2016 proved once and for all that the Democratic establishment simply doesn’t have a message that can effectively counter Trump. The party leadership ignored the lessons that should have been learned four years ago. Instead, Democratic strategy is the very definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

We know how Democrats can win again. Thomas Frank, in his vital book, Listen, Liberal: Or, What Ever Happened to the Party of the People?, explains that Democrats need to get back to being a party that offers something meaningful to working people. We know that voting Republican is no indication that voters actually want the agenda the Republican party will pursue in office. Fox News polling indicates voters want universal healthcare, abortion rights and a pathway to citizenship for unauthorized immigrants. Florida voters, even as they selected Donald Trump, also opted to increase the state’s minimum wage to $15 an hour. The Democrats do not need to propose insipid half-measures when the data indicates that the public are fully on board with a progressive agenda.

JMM

Slava Ukraini!
    Ble medlem
    Antall liker
    Sted
    Fredrikstad
    Torget vurderinger
    Ellers var det et intervju med en eller annen valgfyr fra Georgia for litt siden og det var visstnok masse av stemmer igjen å telle. Dermed er trua på magen tilbake.

Dr Dong

Æresmedlem
    Ble medlem
    Antall liker
    Sted
    landskapet uten motstand
    Torget vurderinger
    Well, it’s over. Not the election. The capitalist democracy. However biased it was towards the interests of the rich and however hostile it was to the poor and minorities, the capitalist democracy at least offered the possibility of incremental and piecemeal reform. Now it is a corpse. The iconography and rhetoric remain the same. But it is an elaborate and empty reality show funded by the ruling oligarchs — $1.51 billion for the Biden campaign and $1.57 billion for the Trump campaign — to make us think there are choices. There are not. The empty jousting between a bloviating Trump and a verbally impaired Joe Biden is designed to mask the truth. The oligarchs always win. The people always lose. It does not matter who sits in the White House. America is a failed state.

“The American Dream has run out of gas,” wrote the novelist J.G. Ballard. “The car has stopped. It no longer supplies the world with its images, its dreams, its fantasies. No more. It’s over. It supplies the world with its nightmares now.”

There were many actors that killed America’s open society. The corporate oligarchs who bought the electoral process, the courts and the media, and whose lobbyists write the legislation to impoverish us and allow them to accumulate obscene amounts of wealth and unchecked power. The militarists and war industry that drained the national treasury to mount futile and endless wars that have squandered some $7 trillion and turned us into an international pariah. The CEOs, raking in bonuses and compensation packages in the tens of millions of dollars, that shipped jobs overseas and left our cities in ruins and our workers in misery and despair without a sustainable income or hope for the future. The fossil fuel industry that made war on science and chose profits over the looming extinction of the human species. The press that turned news into mindless entertainment and partisan cheerleading. The intellectuals who retreated into the universities to preach the moral absolutism of identity politics and multiculturalism while turning their backs on the economic warfare being waged on the working class and the unrelenting assault on civil liberties. And, of course, the feckless and hypocritical liberal class that does nothing but talk, talk, talk.

og mye mer. det er bare å lese slik god lese.

Sist redigert:

JMM

Slava Ukraini!
    Ble medlem
    Antall liker
    Sted
    Fredrikstad
    Torget vurderinger
    Mr. Hedges er tydeligvis ingen optimist på Amerikas vegne.

"The inevitable social unrest will see the state, no matter who is in the White House, use its three principle instruments of social control — wholesale surveillance, the prisons and militarized police — buttressed by a legal system that routinely revokes habeas corpus and due process, to ruthlessly crush dissent.
    An American tyranny, dressed up with the ideological veneer of a Christianized fascism, will, it appears, define the empire’s epochal descent into irrelevance."

Litt som om jeg skulle skrevet det selv, i grunnen.

WayAhead

Æresmedlem
    Ble medlem
    Antall liker
    Sted
    Sky No Limit....
    Torget vurderinger
    Det viktigste er å bli kvitt Trump. Om Biden rekker ståa kommer han nok til å bli varmt mottatt fra ekte demokratier verden over. Hva han vil få ril alene....? Han er jo ikke alene i kråkereiret så en får se hva de kan få til. Overraskelsenes tid er nok ikke over... Trunk ble på en måte valgt, not i 16. ....

WayAhead

Æresmedlem
    Ble medlem
    Antall liker
    Sted
    Sky No Limit....
    Torget vurderinger
    If Zoo får en håpe at Demokratene eventuelt har en slugger klar mht aldren på Dunk og Biden.. well mye kan skje....LatrineDunke goes mental.. klager fortsatt over jukset som gjorde at han tapte i 20 der han twitrer de gamle meldingene om og om igjen fra rullestolen...

Under en CNN-sending torsdag kunne kanalens sjefskorrespondent ved Det hvite hus, Jim Acosta, dele følgende:

- Det er rådgivere og støttespillere som begynner å diskutere muligheten for at Trump ikke bare taper dette valget, men at han kan komme tilbake med en ny kampanje i 2024. Denne muligheten har blitt diskutert, får jeg opplyst, blant visse rådgivere innad i Trump-kampanjen - og noen av dem har til og med diskutert det med presidenten selv.

Klippet ble delt på Twitter av Rolling Stones-journalist Peter Wade.

MML

Hi-Fi freak
    Ble medlem
    Antall liker
    Torget vurderinger
    Hva er grunnen til at forskjellige nyhetsmedier erklærer seier i statene? Disse bruker jo også forskjellige tall. Finnes ikke offisiell informasjon eller hva er greia?

• Laster inn…

Diskusjonstråd Se tråd i gallerivisning

• Laster inn…
Topp Bunn