Digitale avspillere New dac

gryphongryph

Hi-Fi entusiast
Ble medlem
Antall liker
Hi everyone.
I hope it is okey that I write in english, as I am from Faroe Islands, and my Norwegian is not so good.

I would like a dac for my system.
my system is:

Meridian 588 cd player
DK Design VS.1 Reference MK2 Integrated amp.
Amphion xenon speekers.

I really like the 588, and when playing something like vigilante man with Ry Cooder on the disc Live in San Francisco.
up the volume a bit and its like being there, but sometimes I would like a bit better resolution but still with the analog and beautiful sounding blues guitar and a beautifully sounding piano where one can hear the notes decay very nicely, also I like a good reproduction of voices.
As I hope you guys can see, I like detail, but never harsh, I am more to the analog sound and sound that make you sit at a intimate concert in your living room.
I would also like to use my macbook pro, so the dac need to have usb input, I have been looking at the Primare D30 and the Mcintosh D100 or 150.
Is there anyone here that have heard these dac"s, also the Audio Bite black dragon looks interesting
I can spend between 15.000 -30.000 Nkr.
You are welcome to reply in Norwegian

Hope for some replies.
Thanks.

Ketil

Hi-Fi freak
Ble medlem
Antall liker
Marantz NA-11S1 og Auralic Vega som ligger til salgs på bruktbørsen ville jeg sett på som aktuelle kandidater. Sistnevnte fikk også best i test i Lyd og Bilde.

HoJ

En glad amatør.
Ble medlem
Antall liker
Sted
Stavanger
Torget vurderinger
Hei, bruk litt tid. Det er ikke lett å bare anbefale deg en dac som passer i ditt system, til dine ører.. Se om du kan låne med deg noen hjem, for å teste ut. Det kan fort være en del hfs-venner som bor like ved deg som kan låne ut sin dac.. Lykke til med jakten.

gryphongryph

Hi-Fi entusiast
Ble medlem
Antall liker
That is one of the big problems here, there is no real hifi/high end.
Only like the Danish expert store!
The problem being only 48000 people ;-)
When I bought my system I traveled to Sweeden and Denmark to listen to the equipment, I have an offer on a D100 and a D30 from Denmark, they say that the Primare is a bit dryer in the sound, while the Mcintosh is larger sounding, I am afraid that both the Vega witch was my first choice and the Hegel will be to bright on top, in conjunction with my Amphion I think the sound would be to thin and fatigue in the long run, expesially the Primare is said to be very gentle on the ear so to speak in the few reviews I have read, I just hope they would update it as it will be 3 years soon!
Please keep the responses coming, very much appreciated.
Thanks

Tand

Hi-Fi freak
Ble medlem
Antall liker
Hei

Hva med Berkeley Alpha Dac 1 eller 2? Berkeleys Alpha dacer jo har fått gode kritikker, særlig nr 2 og Ref dacen. Ligger vel en 1er til salgs her inne også. Evt en 2 med 240 volt på Audiogon.

Edit. Så du måtte ha med USB, da blir det vel i overkant dyrt når du da evt må ha med Alpha usb til Berkely, men du kan vel kjøre optisk ut fra Macen om det er ett alternativ….

Sist redigert:

gryphongryph

Hi-Fi entusiast
Ble medlem
Antall liker
Checked the Berkeley Alpha Dac 2, but a bit too expensive and as you say, there is no usb, which I feel is getting more important, in the future, with the maturing of the wifi dacs that are starting to flood the market, maybe one day they will take over, but right now I think usb is the one to have, especially with high rez files on your computer or hard drive.

CC61231

Hi-Fi entusiast
Ble medlem
Antall liker
Sted
Malmö
Dac 30

Hei,

jeg har precis været igennem rutinen med at søg DAC og endte med en DAC 30 efter at have testet NAD / Audio GD (totalt overvurderet) / Musical Fidelity / Rotel og mange mange flere.

Skulle gerne ville have haft en Mark Levinson som referance, men ud fra resultatet med denne bliver det iføge mine ører svært at hitte noget der er bettre...

gryphongryph

Hi-Fi entusiast
Ble medlem
Antall liker
Hei,

jeg har precis været igennem rutinen med at søg DAC og endte med en DAC 30 efter at have testet NAD / Audio GD (totalt overvurderet) / Musical Fidelity / Rotel og mange mange flere.

Skulle gerne ville have haft en Mark Levinson som referance, men ud fra resultatet med denne bliver det iføge mine ører svært at hitte noget der er bettre...
Thanks,
Could you explain a bit why you think the Audio Gd is (totalt overvurderet) as you say?
and what model was it?

Sist redigert:

JBN

Hi-Fi interessert
Ble medlem
Antall liker
Sted
Oslo
Torget vurderinger

gryphongryph

Hi-Fi entusiast
Ble medlem
Antall liker
Thanks, I read the Moon review, it looks very nice, I just worry a bit about the battery charging!
Although I can see a battery make a lot of sense in a digital environment.

JBN

Hi-Fi interessert
Ble medlem
Antall liker
Sted
Oslo
Torget vurderinger
I had the SOtM for several months( it was a used Unite) and had no concern with the battery's. And when they get too old you are not dependant on SOtM for replacement.

gryphongryph

Hi-Fi entusiast
Ble medlem
Antall liker
I had the SOtM for several months( it was a used Unite) and had no concern with the battery's. And when they get too old you are not dependant on SOtM for replacement.
Why do you not have it still? did you upgrade to something better?

POB

Hi-Fi freak
Ble medlem
Antall liker
Sted
Kulturhovedstaden
Torget vurderinger
After several dac's throughout the years, I beleive I've found one of the best.
This is diy, but there are always somone who can put this together if you are not able to do so yourself.

DDDAC 1794 NOS DAC - Non Oversampling DAC with PCM1794 - no digital filter - modular design DIY DAC for high resolution audio 192/24 192kHz 24bit

1794 chip is natural sounding, high resolution, and the dac has option for usb or coax.
As I am a succer for analogue sound too, this one was the choice I made approx a year ago.
I use it with a Windows 8 pc, but Mac should be easier to integrate.
The one I have is built by LMC here on Hifisentralen.

I recommend that you read about this one, it is truly a bargain.

JBN

Hi-Fi interessert
Ble medlem
Antall liker
Sted
Oslo
Torget vurderinger
Why do you not have it still? did you upgrade to something better?
Because I want to keep exploring other dac , and I also changed speakers and wanted to go for a different sound signature, I have not actually landed on a new one yet(to buy) testing out Lab12 dac. A nos dac with tubes. so far I like it. but on my current speakers(Musical Affairs) the best I have heard is Black Dragon, Sotm has a
swetness that the speakers already possess. But my Proac D30r are extremely precise animals and enjoyed the sweetness SOtM has to offer. But I have to say its all really subtle. I can vouch for both of them.

Ketil

Hi-Fi freak
Ble medlem
Antall liker
They now have Primare DAC30 at 50% discount at soundgarden.no. I think that would be a good buy. If they do not send abroad perhaps you could have someone in Norway to order it for you.

lovemusikk

Hi-Fi freak
Ble medlem
Antall liker
Torget vurderinger
En skal jo ikke anbefale egne ting sies det, men tull mener jeg.
Hvorfor anbefale noe som en ikke syns er like bra?
Testet Abrahamsen V6? Ikke la deg skremme av prisen, for den er meget god.
Får den for ca 2000kr brukt og kan selges lett for 2000-2500,-

Min V6 var pitte litt bedre enn f.eks en meget god rør-DAC til 15.000 kr. :)
Ellers, hvis du vil ha en dyr og god DAC, har vi jo Burmester

Sist redigert:

gryphongryph

Hi-Fi entusiast
Ble medlem
Antall liker
Ordered the Dac30 today from KT-Radio in Denmark.
Got it at a good price, and so much looking forward to listning to it.
I will be traveling, so have to wait 3 weeks before being able to sit down with it.
What usb cable do you guys use, and does any of you guys use 3 or 4 meters length cable?.

Ketil

Hi-Fi freak
Ble medlem
Antall liker
I think this one from Totaldac would be a good choice.

Topp Bunn